The cornea is the transparent window covering the front part of the eye - like a watch glass that covers the inner structures. The function is to focus light on the retina for clear vision and helps in protecting the inner parts. A clear cornea is important for good vision. The cornea consists of five layers – The epithelium, Bowman’s layer, the stroma, Descement’s membrane, the endothelium. Functionally the endothelium is most important.
The Disha Corneal Service comprises of a dynamic team of cornea sub-specialty ophthalmologists who are skilled in the latest medical and surgical care of patients with corneal, external eye and anterior segment diseases.
Tertiary referral services are provided for both local and international patients from various countries with these conditions. The cornea department manages all conditions of the anterior segment. This is one of the largest corneal transplant centers in the country and functions in parallel with Prova Eye Bank which is also one of the largest eye banks in the country.
We are well equipped with all the modern diagnostic tools including – anterior segment OCT, specular microscopy, ultrasound biomicroscopy, scheimpflug corneal tomography, ocular aberrometry, dry eye diagnostics including meibography and blink dynamics.
We also have a good microbiology lab to help us manage any case of corneal or surface infections.
Conditions managed by us include-
- Corneal dystrophies – including Fuchs’ dystrophy, stromal dystrophies
- Corneal ectasias – e.g. Keratoconus, Pellucid marginal degeneration
- Dry eye diseases
- Allergic eye diseases
- Bullous keratopathy
- Anterior segment trauma and foreign body
- Chemical and thermal injuries
- Degenerative conditions such as pterygium, pinguecula etc.
- Pediatric and congenital corneal conditions
- Infections of cornea and conjunctiva
- Inflammatory conditions of cornea, conjunctiva and sclera
- Management of corneal scars
- Contact lens services – including cosmetic and specialty lenses
- Ocular prosthesis and cosmesis
Services provided by us:
- Corneal Transplantation: all techniques including modern lamellar techniques like DSEK, DMEK and DALK are done by us.
- Optical Penetrating Keratoplasty and combined cataract triple procedure
- Deep Anterior Lamellar Keratoplasty
- Endothelial Keratoplasty: 1. Descemet’s Stripping (Automated) Endothelial Keratoplasty (DSAEK/ DSEK) 2. Descemet’s Membrane Endothelial Keratoplasty (DMEK), 3. Combined procedure with cataract and IOL implantation
- Corneal /scleral patch graft
- Dermoid excision with lamellar corneoscleral graft
- Therapeutic penetrating keratoplasty
- Tectonic keratoplasty
- Keratoprosthesis – for extreme cases of corneal condition. Boston type 1 and type 2; Auro kpro
- Ocular Surface and Reconstructive Surgery
- Buccal mucous membrane graft (BMM) for lid margin keratinization
- Symblepharon management
- Stem cell transplant – SLET – auto and allograft
- Amniotic membrane grafting
- Collagen crosslinking for prevention of keratoconus progression.
- Ocular surface tumour surgery and management
- Ocular trauma management - Corneal repair/ scleral repair and additional procedures (cataract and ant vitrectomy) and rehabilitation
- Management of Corneal and Anterior Segment Foreign Bodies
- Management of Corneal Perforations.
- Pterygium and conjunctival mass removal.
- Treatment of surface irregularities – such as SND, EBMD, BSK, etc
- Punctal Occlusion for dry eye
- Tissue Glue and BCL for corneal thinning
- Corneal tattooing
- AC tap and aqueous collection for microbiology investigation
- Intrastromal anti-VEGF injection