Dr.Arijit Mitra joined Disha Eye Hospital, Barrackpore in 2014 as a Consultant in Cataract and Glaucoma Services.He is a specialist Glaucoma consultant and surgeon havingextensive clinical and surgical expertise in the field for more than 11 years.He has attended N.R.S Medical College, University of Calcutta as an undergraduate and received his MBBS.Subsequently, he did his Diploma in Ophthalmology(D.O) and then his post graduation [Diplomate of National Board (D.N.B)] degree in ophthalmology from the reputed Aravind Eye Hospital Located in Tamil Nadu.Following that he did extensive training and Long Term Fellowship in Glaucoma and Anterior Segment under renowned Glaucoma Consultant and teacher Dr.R.Ramakrishnan at Aravind Eye Hospital.After completion of fellowship he then joined the Glaucoma Department at Aravind as a Medical Officer and gained valuable experience as a consultant ,surgeon and teacher.
Interest / Specialization:
Education / Training:
Fellowship in Glaucoma and Anterior Segment, Aravind Eye Hospital- 2011.
DNB, Aravind Eye Hospital- 2009.
D.O., Calcutta Medical College- 2007.
MBBS, N.R.S. Medical College, Calcutta University, Batch Topper- 2002.
Overall Best Paper Award (Glaucoma) D.B Chandra, Disha Award and Best paper in Glaucoma session II for “An AS- OCT based study to report the progression of primary angle closure suspects (PACS) to primary angle closure (PAC) and Primary Angle Closure Glaucoma (PACG) after 3 years of follow up”, Chief author AIOC Agra- 2014
Best Paper Award Glaucoma Session I for “Role of AS-OCT in Monitoring Primary Angle Closure Suspects and Plateau Iris Syndrome (PIS) patients pre- and post- Iridoplasty”, Chief author,, AIOC, Agra- 2014
Received the highest marks and was the batch topper in the 1st Professional MBBS examination and recipient of the Kunja-Kusum Scholarship in the year 1998.
Received the highest marks and was the batch topper in the 2nd Professional MBBS examination and recipient of the Kunja-Kusum Scholarship in the year 1999.
Received the highest marks and was the batch topper in the 3rd Professional MBBS examination and recipient of the Kunja-Kusum Scholarship in the year 2002.
Gold Medalist in Physiology and holder of the D. Biswas Memorial Award for the Best Physiology Student of the Year- 1998
Gold Medalist in Ophthalmology for securing the highest marks in the Diploma in Ophthalmology examination in the year 2007.
Conferred Rotary Club of Kolkata Silver Jubilee Commemoration Prize for best out-going student in D.O for the academic year 2007.
1. Chapter titled: OCT (Ocular Coherence Tomography) in Glaucoma in the Book titled: Recent Advances in Ophthalmology Volume 11 (Chapter 4 page 51- 74) by Dr. H. V. Nema and Dr.NitinNema
2. Chapter titled: Anterior Segment Optical Coherence Tomography) in the Book titled: Recent Advances in Ophthalmology Volume 12 (Chapter 20 pages 263- 279) by Dr. H.V. Nema and Dr.NitinNema.
3. Chapter titled: History taking in Glaucoma in the book titled: Diagnosis and Management of Glaucoma published by Jaypee Publications, Chapter 11 in Part 2- Glaucoma Diagnostics; pages 107 -110.
4. Chapter Titled : Newer Imaging Modalities : Management of Glaucoma ;Jaypee publications Chapters 8 and 9.Pages 112 – 136.
5. Chapter titled: Imaging in Glaucoma in the book titled: Diagnosis and Management of Glaucoma published by Jaypee Publications, Chapter 21 in Part 2- Glaucoma Diagnostics; pages 272 -290.
6. Book : “ Glaucoma Drainage Devices” – A practical Illustrated Guide Editors Dr.Monica Gandhi and Dr.ShibalBhartiya Name of the chapter : Economic considerations of Glaucoma drainage devices. Pages : 143 – 148 Mitra, Arijit and Singh, Maneesh. (2019). Economic Considerations of Glaucoma Drainage Devices.10.1007/978-981-13-5773-2_20.
PUBLICATIONS AND TRIALS
1. Has been Principal Investigator and Co-investigator in multiple National and International Trials.
2. Multiple publications in International and National and State peer reviewed journals.
1. Original Article titled: Long term outcome of 5-Fluorouracil (5-FU) augmented bleb needling revision of failed and failing filtration blebs. Authors:Dr.ArijitMitra D.O, DNB, Dr. R. Ramakrishnan, D.O, M.S., Dr.Mohideen Abdul Kader P.M.T., DNB. Has been accepted for publication in the Asian Journal of Ophthalmology.Article in press.
2. Original article titled: Surgical and Visual outcome of Childhood Glaucoma at a Tertiary Eye Care Center in South India. Authors:Dr.ArijitMitra D.O, D.N.B , Dr. R. Ramakrishnan, D.O, M.S., Dr.Mohideen Abdul Kader P.M.T, DNB. Asia Pacific Journal of Ophthalmology. 2015 Sep-Oct;4(5):250-8. doi: 10.1097/APO.0000000000000126.
3. Original Article Titled : To Study the Efficacy of Laser Peripheral Iridoplasty in the Treatment of Eyes With Primary Angle Closure and Plateau Iris Syndrome, Unresponsive to Laser Peripheral Iridotomy, Using Anterior-Segment OCT as a Tool.Authors :Dr.RengappaRamakrishnan, DO, MS, Dr.ArijitMitra, DO, DNB,Dr. Mohideen Abdul Kader, DNB, and Sasmita Das, DNB.Published in the Journal of Glaucoma.2015 Sep 14.[Epub ahead of print].
4. Casereport:An unusual case of a Vitreous Cyst. Dr.DebarpitaChaudhury, D.O, D.N.B, Dr. R. Ramkrishanan, D.O., MS, Dr.Meenakshi. R, D.O, D.N.B., Dr.ArijitMitra D.O, D.N.B. Published in the Journal of the Tamil Nadu Ophthalmic Association. 2014;4:41-44.
5. Case report : Anterior Segment OCT documentation of a case of Topiramate Induced Acute Angle Closure (TiAAC).Dr.R.Ramakrishnan , Dr.ArijitMitra , Dr.Mohideen Abdul Kader.Indian Journal of Ophthalmology.2014; 62:609 -622. DOI: 10.4103/0301-4738.129784.PMID: 24881612
6. Case Report : Open Angle Glaucoma in a case of Ehler- Danlos Syndrome- a rare association. Authors: Dr.R.Ramakrishnan ,Dr.ArijitMitra , Dr.Mohideen Abdul Kader. Published in the Indian Journal of Ophthalmology, August 2014, 62(8):880-884 DOI:10.4103/0301-4738.141060 PMID:25230966
7. Case report titled: A case of Fibrous dysplasia causing optic atrophy. Dr.R.Ramakrishnan ,Dr.ArijitMitra , Dr.Padmavathy. Journal of the Tamil Nadu Ophthalmic Association, 2014;3:52-55.
8. Case Report titled: Sturge Weber Syndrome and Naevus of Ota- the rare presence of two Phakomatoses in one individual. Dr.ArijitMitra ,Dr.R.Ramakrishnan.Journal of the Tamil Nadu Ophthalmic Association- 2014;2:36-40.
9. Article titled: Malignant Glaucoma.Dr.ArijitMitra, Dr.R.Ramakrishnan. Published in the Journal of the Tamil Nadu Ophthalmic Association – 2009;1:22-26.
10.Article Titled : A Study of The Comparison of Spherical Equivalent by IOL Master andAScanMethod.Dr.AshishGangwar,Dr.S.Chandrashekharan,Dr.R.Ramakrishnan,Dr.Arijit Mitra;2009:08:112-118.
11. Article Titled :Review of anti-vascular endothelial growth factor therapy in macular edema secondary to central retinal vein occlusions.Article in Expert Review of Ophthalmology 6(6) January 2014.doi: 10.1586/eop.11.67
12.Article titled: Iris naevus (Cogan-Reese) syndrome.Dr.Nirmal Kumar Sasmal,Dr.RadhakrishnaMandal,Dr.Mukul Chandra Biswas,Dr.ArijitMitra , Dr.ArupGhosh,Dr.Anup Kumar Boler.Article in Journal of the Indian Medical Association(JIMA);106(8):538 • September 2008
13.Case report : Amniotic band syndrome : Dr.DebarpitaChaudhury D.O , D.N.B ,Dr.ArijitMitra D.O, D.N.B .Published in the Delhi Ophthalmological Society (DOS) Times Journal, 2015;21 ( 2) : 31-33.
14.Case Report: LipaemiaRetinalis. Dr.DebarpitaChaudhury, D.O , D.N.B, Dr. R. Meenakshi, D.O., D.N.B, Dr. R. Ramakrishnan D.O, M.S, Dr.ArijitMitra D.O , D.N.B , Dr. S. Raju, D.C.H., M.D. Published in the Delhi Journal of Ophthalmology, 2015;26(2):107-110.
15. Published a “Journal Scan (Glaucoma ) in the Bengal Ophthalmic Journal” January – June 2019 edition on the article titled “ Differential efficacy of combined Phacoemulsification and endocyclophotocoagulation in open angle Glaucoma versus Angle closure Glaucoma “
16.Review article : Mitra A , Singh M. Accurate Clinical Examination in Glaucoma is Key: Disc Features.Journal of the Delhi Ophthalmological Society(DOS).2018;12(4):23-34
17. Case report :Agarwal V, Mitra A, Choudhury S, Sar S, Chaudhury D. Spontaneous unilateral hyphema from a strand of persistent pupillary membrane. Indian J Ophthalmol 2020;68:1158-9.
18.Case report : Mitra A, Das A, Choudhury S, Sar S, Chaudhury D. Int J Ophthalmol. 2021 Apr 18;14(4):630-632. doi: 10.18240/ijo.2021.04.23. eCollection 2021.
19.Case report : Mitra A, ChaudhuryD,Choudhury S, Sar S, Ghosh S. Multiple phakomatoses and primary open-angle glaucoma in one individual.Asian J Ophthalmol;2020; 17(3):290-301
20.Letter to the editor : Mitra A , Mohanta A , ChaudhuryD.Specifying the Role of Masks in Reducing Viral Material on Environmental Surfaces of an Ophthalmology Examination Room.JAMA Ophthalmol.2021;139(3):365-366
PRESENTATIONS – PAPERS, POSTERS, VIDEOS
Numerous papers , posters and video presentations in State, National and International conferences like TNOA , AIOC , ASIA-ARVO,GSI and WGC.