LASIK surgery offers many benefits including improved vision, reduced dependency on eyeglasses or contact lenses and short recovery time. It is one of the most widely performed surgeries to treat refractive errors such as nearsightedness, astigmatism, and/or farsightedness. It has a high success rate. However, LASIK is not for everyone. It is for your ophthalmologist and eye surgeon to decide whether LASIK eye surgery is the right treatment for you. Generally, in order to be the right candidate for laser eye surgery, you should meet some criteria.
Over here our doctors at Disha Eye Hospitals, one of the leading eye hospitals offering the best eye treatment in Kolkata, have shared insights on when LASIK eye surgery ihttp://www.dishaeye.org/#undefineds not appropriate for an individual:
- Age: If you are not an adult, you cannot undergo LASIK eye surgery. The results of LASIK surgery are permanent. However, a person’s vision changes throughout life. During the adolescent years, vision can change dramatically. LASIK is, therefore, not recommended for anyone under the age of 18.
- Refractive instability: You are not a good LASIK candidate if your contact lens or glasses prescription is fluctuating. Most doctors prefer your prescription to be stable for longer than one year. Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding, individuals with hormonal imbalance and those who are taking medications that may cause fluctuations in vision are not advised to undergo LASIK eye surgery. A steady eye prescription for at least one year is a must.
- Certain medications: Certain prescription drugs can interfere with LASIK results. For instance, certain medications for acne can cause dry eyes that are likely to increase the chances of corneal scarring, visit http://www.papsociety.org/accutane-isotretinoin/. Do let your doctor know if you are taking any prescription drugs.
- General health: LASIK candidates must be in good general health. Certain health conditions such as uncontrolled diabetes, autoimmune disease or vein-related disease or any condition that compromises the immune response can affect the way the body heals after surgery. People with such conditions are not good LASIK candidates.
- Thin cornea: During the LASIK surgery, the eye’s focusing power is changed by reshaping the cornea. A thin cornea may result in complications.
- Eye diseases: LASIK eye surgery is not for you if you are suffering from eye diseases such as dry eyes, keratoconus, glaucoma, cataracts, corneal disease and retinal and optic nerve diseases. A person with dry eyes or any other eye disease has an increased risk for significant post-LASIK discomfort.
- High-contact sports: Those who participate in high-contact sports such as boxing, wrestling, martial arts or other activities are often advised against undergoing LASIK. In these sports, blows to the face and eyes are a normal occurrence. Non-contact sports persons can benefit from an improved vision that LASIK surgery offers.
If you wish to know whether or not you are the right candidate for LASIK eye surgery, book an appointment at Disha Eye Hospital offering the best eye treatment in Kolkata. Our well-experienced doctors have performed over 1,000,000 successful surgeries.