Diabetic retinopathy is a condition that affects the eyes. This condition occurs in people suffering from type1 and type 2 diabetes. In this condition, the blood vessels in the retina get damaged. The retina senses the light and sends images to the brain, helping the eyes to see. However, if not timely treated, diabetic retinopathy can lead to vision loss. Those with uncontrolled diabetes are at high risk of developing diabetic retinopathy.
In the beginning, you might not experience any symptoms or only mild vision issues. With time you may experience symptoms such as:
- Dark floaters in the vision
- Blurred and fluctuating vision
- Dark areas in the vision
- Vision loss during advanced stages
Diabetic retinopathy can occur in any person suffering from diabetes. Other risk factors that may lead to this condition are:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Tobacco use
- Pregnant women with gestational diabetes
You can’t completely prevent diabetic retinopathy. But visual loss from diabetic retinopathy is preventable and can be treated. Medical management of diabetes, early detection of the condition, and timely treatment can reduce the risk of visual loss.
If you have diabetes, reduce the risk of developing diabetic retinopathy by doing the following:
- Make a healthy diet part of your daily routine.
- Attempt to get something like 150 minutes of light to moderate, exercise such as walking, yoga, or aerobics every week.
- Take diabetes medicines as prescribed.
- Screen your glucose level regularly. You may have to check and record your glucose level a few times each day.
- Quit smoking. Smoking increases the risk of diabetes-related complications, including diabetic retinopathy.
Taking an active role in diabetes management can go a long way toward preventing eye complications. If you have diabetes or you know someone who is suffering from diabetes, it is important to get regular eye exams.
Looking for the best eye doctor in Kolkata?
At Disha Eye Hospitals, we have some of the best retina specialists who can help treat diabetic retinopathy, retinal tear, and retinal detachment. If you are looking for the best eye doctor in Kolkata, book an online consultation or visit our eye hospital.