Low vision can be quite challenging at any age. Besides making it difficult to read and drive, there are many other problems that people with low vision have to face. As one of the leading eye hospitals in Kolkata, we offer several eye tests to check that your eyes are healthy and vision is good.
Check out these solutions to help your family member around the home
- Increase the contrast: Setting brightly coloured accessories around the home will help your family members easily find items. Painting door frames, door and doorknobs in a lighter colour than the walls will allow a person with low vision to know if a door is open or shut. Similarly, steps of the stairs should be marked with bright colour stickers. This will reduce the chances of missteps and falls. Make sure that the colours of the rugs or carpets stand out against the floor’s colour. Also, ensure that the rugs and carpets are anti-skid.
- Make bathrooms more user-friendly: Bathrooms can be particularly dangerous for people with low vision. If the bathroom fixtures and tiles are white, it can be challenging to see the edges of tubs, showers, sinks and toilets. Use bright stickers to distinctly mark the edges of these fixtures and shower doors. Adding a dark toilet seat can be also helpful.
- Make kitchens safer: Kitchen can be a bit dangerous for people with low vision. However, you can make it safer by ensuring that everything is in its place. Use light and dark cutting boards and mark the dials on your stove with bright stickers. Sharp objects like knives should be properly marked and stored in a safe place.
- Install proper lighting: Brighter lighting can help with activities such as reading and cooking. In addition to installing overhead lighting, make sure that there are plenty of floor and table lamps. Place them strategically so that the floor is clearly visible. Use curtains that allow natural light in.
- Remove falling hazards: Shiny floors, rugs and carpets can cause confusion and increase the risk of falling. Instead of wax or other shiny products, use non-glare products to clean floors. Make sure that the electrical cords are properly fixed and not lying on the pathways — this will reduce the risk of falling and injury.
- Arrange furniture items properly: Place furniture items with high contrast upholstery. Keep low-lying furniture such as footstools, tables and lamps out of the main path of the room. The rooms should have as much open area as possible.
- Embrace technology: Low vision may make it difficult for your family member to use phones, tablets and other gadgets. However, there are different software that you can install in your loved one’s gadgets to help them use technology with greater comfort.
Schedule a regular eye exam and keep the appointments
Besides making changes around the house, make sure that your family member is getting his/her eyes regularly checked. Several diseases like macular degeneration and glaucoma can cause low vision. When these eye conditions are not properly monitored and treated, symptoms like low vision can get worse.