Good eyesight is important for children of all ages. Eye health is important for children’s academic as well as social development. Early education is based on visual aids and colours. As the children’s eyes are in developing stages, any problem detected early can have better chances of treatment. Therefore, parents should ensure that their child’s eyes are healthy. As parents, you should take your child for annual eye examinations. To make the most out of your appointment with your child’s eye doctor, it is important that you ask relevant and important questions.
Here we share with you questions that you can ask your child’s eye doctor:
1. Questions Related to General Paediatric Eye Exams: Many children have vision problems but are not easy to to notice. Here are some general paediatric questions that you could ask the doctor:
- Is my child showing any kind of symptoms for any eye problem?
- How to identify symptoms that my child may be suffering from?
- How frequently should we perform our child’s eye test?
- Does my child require prescription glasses because of the condition?
2. Questions about Eye Conditions: Treatment and frequency of appointments will vary depending on whether your child has an eye condition or not. However, if your child shows signs of an eye condition, it needs to be addressed by a paediatric ophthalmologist. Knowing about your child’s eye condition can help you give better support to your child. Some of the questions that you can ask regarding eye conditions are:
- Can you explain the condition of the eye?
- Is the effect taking place in one or both eyes?
- What could have developed this eye condition?
- Is my child’s vision normal right now?
- Will this eye condition worsen with age?
This knowledge can help families understand more about their child’s eye condition.
3. Questions Regarding Treatment: If your child is suffering from an eye condition, it is important that he or she gets appropriate treatment. Treatment options could be
- Prescription glasses
- Eye drops
- Surgery or patching
Knowing the details regarding the treatment will help you to make a proper decision with the eye doctor for your child. Here are some of the questions that you can ask your child’s eye doctor regarding treatment:
- What are the best options to treat this eye problem?
- Are there any side effects caused by this treatment?
- Besides treatment, what more can I do to help my child’s eye condition get better?
It is necessary for you to have proper information regarding your child’s eye treatment from credible sources, especially from your child’s eye doctor.
4. Questions to Learn how Conditions may Affect your Child : Paediatric eye conditions can cause a lot of problems in your child’s life. For instance, strabismus can cause double vision or lazy eye can cause problems in one or both eyes and the development of normal vision is disrupted. Refractive errors in children can make it difficult for them to study as they may struggle to see things clearly.
Here are some questions you can ask to gain a better understanding of the situation if your child has an eye condition:
- Are there other problems associated with this eye problem?
- Will my child face limitations because of the eye condition?
- Will this eye condition affect my child’s day to day life?
Looking for a Paediatric Eye Surgeon in Kolkata?
We, at Disha Eye Hospitals, have a dedicated paediatric ophthalmology unit.
Our paediatric eye specialists and eye surgeons diagnose and treat strabismus, paediatric cataract, retinopathy of prematurity, paediatric glaucoma and other paediatric eye problems.