Does your vision sometimes appear blurry? Often, people do not take blurry vision seriously. However, the fact remains that blurred vision can be an indication of an eye problem.
As one of the leading eye hospitals in West Bengal, we do not take complaints of headaches and blurry vision lightly. We advise our patients to get an eye examination if they experience any changes in their vision, be it a blurry vision, double vision or seeing spots.
Blurry vision: Why should you visit an eye hospital?
Well, not all causes of blurry vision are a reason to worry. Many vision problems are treatable with medications and eye drops or prescription eyeglasses. However, in some cases, blurry vision can be a sign of a serious eye condition and if left untreated for long, it may cause irreversible damage to your eyes.
Here we discuss some of the eye problems that can cause blurry vision:
Blurry vision can be a sign of the following vision problems:
- Refractive errors: Refractive errors, such as near-sightedness, far-sightedness, or astigmatism are some of the most common causes of blurry vision. It occurs due to a change in the shape of the eye that causes vision to become blurred. If corrective measures are not taken, these eye problems can deteriorate your eyesight slowly. Using eyeglasses or contact lenses prescribed by an eye doctor can correct refractive errors.
- Glaucoma: One of the many symptoms of glaucoma is blurred vision. It is a common age-related vision condition that usually affects people over 60. The eye condition damages the optic nerve by causing abnormally high pressure in the eye. Diabetic people are twice as likely to develop glaucoma than non-diabetics. High blood sugar levels cause the blood vessels to bulge. Glaucoma is one of the leading causes of blindness after cataracts and trachoma. As glaucoma doesn’t show any early signs of vision problems, it is important to get your eyes checked regularly. Treatment includes prescription eye drops, medications, laser treatment, or surgery, depending on the severity of the condition, https://medfitnetwork.org/public/ambien-zolpidem-info/.
- Cataracts: Blurry vision is the most common symptom of cataracts. People with cataracts usually find it difficult to read or drive at night. If left untreated for a long time, cataracts can cause blindness. Cataracts can be removed with surgery – where the damaged lens is replaced with an artificial lens. Here are some frequently asked questions on cataracts that will help you understand the condition better.
- Eye infections: Blurry vision can be caused due to eye infections – which also cause redness, itching, and swelling. Though not all eye infections are serious, seeking early treatment is the best to prevent any risk of irreversible vision damage.
- Diabetes-related eye conditions: Diabetes can lead to blurry vision in many ways. If you have diabetes, you’re at an increased risk of suffering from diabetic retinopathy, macular edema, cataract, and glaucoma. High blood sugar levels cause the lens of the eye to swell. This makes it difficult for the eyes to focus, so things may look blurred.
Consult the best eye doctors in Kolkata at Disha Eye Hospitals
If you suddenly start to feel any change in your vision, get your eyes checked for correct diagnosis and treatment. We offer diagnosis and advanced treatment for patients with a wide range of vision problems. Book an online consultation or call for an in-person visit.