Like other parts of the eye, the optic nerve too can be damaged. It is the optic nerve that carries visual information from the eye to the brain. Damage to the optic nerve can lead to vision loss. The type of vision loss and its severity depends on where the damage occurs. Over here our eye specialists in Kolkata have answered the most frequently asked questions on optic nerve damage:
- Can optic nerve damage be treated? Yes, there are treatments that can prevent the condition from worsening further. However, there is no treatment to restore lost sight. The treatment and precautions depend on the cause of the optic nerve damage.
- How does the optic nerve get damaged? Optic nerve damage is a critical condition and there can be many causes behind it. The causes can be categorised into two forms —
- Optic nerve damage caused by trauma or injury
- Optic nerve damage caused due to medical condition: Stroke of the eye, blood clot, cerebral aneurysm, stroke, subarachnoid haemorrhage (a type of bleeding around the brain) and inflammation of blood vessels in the head are some of the conditions that can cause optic nerve damage. Common eye diseases such as glaucoma, optic neuritis and optic nerve atrophy can also lead to optic nerve damage.
- How do you know if you have optic nerve damage? Common symptoms of optic nerve damage include severe eye pain, redness in the eyes, headaches, nausea and vomiting and pain when moving the eye. These symptoms may also be present with other eye conditions, so a diagnosis by an eye specialist is needed. Optic nerve damage can be detected through a comprehensive eye examination. Your eye specialist may recommend more tests such as an MRI scan, tomography and blood tests to know the underlying cause of the damage.
- Does optic nerve damage cause blindness? Yes, if optic nerve damage is left untreated for long, it can lead to loss of vision. As the optic nerve links the brain with the eyes, vision is affected. Vision loss is common with optic nerve damage. Loss of colour vision is also a common occurrence with the condition. Seeking medical treatment can help symptoms from worsening.
- Is there a surgery for the optic nerve? Surgery may be recommended to reduce the pressure around the optic nerve. The surgery may not restore vision but it can help prevent the vision from worsening further.
- Can stress damage optic nerves? High levels of stress can cause pressure on the optic nerve, resulting in blurred vision.
- How long does the optic nerve take to heal? The healing time totally depends upon the cause. Using a corrective lens, adopting a healthy lifestyle and incorporating proper exercise and healthy food can be immensely helpful along with proper treatment.
At Disha Eye Hospitals, our neuro-ophthalmology unit has some of the highly-experienced eye specialists in Kolkata on board. The highly competent team of eye specialists and surgeons help treat several optic nerve disorders that include ischaemia, eye injury, photophobia optic neuritis and optic nerve atrophy. We have a complete set up for diagnosis and treatment. To book an appointment, visit here