Our eye specialists are often asked questions such as why an annual eye examination is important or how diabetes affects eye health or how to avail the best eye treatment in kolkata. Here we have answered some of the most frequently asked questions on eye treatment that you might find useful:
- Why are annual eye examinations important? Eye conditions such as cataracts, diabetic retinopathy and glaucoma do not show any early symptoms. During a comprehensive annual eye exam, an eye doctor evaluates the health and condition of the eyes, giving you a better chance at getting the treatment at the right time. Certain conditions cannot be reversed but their progress can be slowed down with the right treatment. People suffering from diabetes and high blood pressure are often recommended to undergo frequent eye tests.
- What is the most common eye treatment for refractive errors? Refractive errors are the most common type of vision problem. Refractive errors such as nearsightedness, farsightedness and presbyopia occur when there is a problem with the shape of the cornea and it cannot focus light accurately on the retina. Eyeglasses are the simplest and safest way to correct refractive errors. Some people also get refractive surgery like LASIK surgery done to change the shape of the cornea and reduce dependence on eyeglasses or contact lenses.
- What is diabetic eye damage and can it be reversed? High blood sugar levels are not good for your overall health and your eyes are no exception. High blood sugar can lead to eye conditions such as blurry vision, cataracts, glaucoma and diabetic retinopathy. According to a study, diabetes is the primary cause of blindness in adults. Diabetes damages the blood vessels in the retina. The damage cannot be reversed but by seeking timely treatment the condition can be slowed down.
- How to prevent diabetic eye conditions? If you are diabetic, get a comprehensive dilated eye examination at least once a year. Control your blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Try to quit smoking. If you smoke, your risk of diabetes-related eye diseases is higher. Exercising regularly is good for your eyes as it helps you keep your blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol levels in check.
- How often should a child get his/her eyes tested? Infants should have their first eye exam at six months. Young children should have their eye tests latest by age three. Here’s a useful guide for parents on scheduling paediatric eye exams. In our Kolkata branch and other branches in West Bengal, we have highly experienced paediatric ophthalmologists who can help you ensure that your child’s eyes are developing normally.
- What are cataracts and is surgery the best treatment option? Cataract forms when the proteins in the eyes clump together causing them to cloud the lens of the eye. As the condition advances, you may have problems with reading and driving at night. Cataract surgery is the best way to remove cataracts. During the surgery, the damaged lens is replaced by an artificial one.
- Is there a treatment for glaucoma? Glaucoma is a condition that damages the eye’s optic nerve due to increased eye pressure. The condition worsens over time and can even lead to loss of vision. Though the damage caused can’t be reversed, treatment such as prescription eye drops, oral medications, laser treatment and surgery can help slow or prevent vision loss, particularly when the condition is detected in its early stages.
If you have any doubts or concerns about your eye health, get in touch with our eye specialists at Disha Eye Hospitals. They can help you maintain good eye health by advising you the right eye treatment plan.