One of the most complex organs of the human body, your eyes are an important part of your health. They take in information and directly connect it with your brain, helping you to understand the world around you. Well, did you know that human eyes are made up of 2 million moving parts? Or the six muscles in each of the human eyes move faster than any other muscle in the body? As a leading eye hospital in Kolkata, we often receive a myriad of questions on eyes and eye health. Here we have curated a list of FAQs and their answers.
1.What precautions should you take for the health of your eyes?
Keeping your eyes healthy is as important as keeping your body healthy. Here are a few steps you need to follow to keep your eyes healthy:
- Eat healthy
- Wear sunglasses under the sun
- Wear safety eyewear while gardening, working in a factory or playing certain sports.
- Do not stare at computer or phone screen for too long.
- Visit your eye doctor on regular intervals.
2. What health problems affect your eyes?
You would be surprised to know that there are a few health conditions that have no connection with your eyes per se, but can lead to eye problems. A few of them are:
- Diabetes: High blood sugar level can lead to several eye problems like blurry vision, glaucoma, and diabetic retinopathy. These eye conditions can cause vision loss or blindness in people.
- High Blood Pressure: High blood pressure can damage the blood vessels that supply blood to the eyes. It can cause damage to your retina, build up fluid under it, and can also damage your optic nerve.
- Measles: A highly contagious virus, measles can harm the front or back of the eye, which can lead to vision loss or blindness. It can lead to conjunctivitis, keratitis, retinopathy, optic neuritis, and corneal scarring.
- Liver Disease: The whites of a person’s eyes become jaundiced or yellow when they have any liver disease. Most of the common symptoms of liver cirrhosis can be felt in the eyes like itchiness and dryness.
3. How to get the best eye treatment in Kolkata?
You can visit Disha Eye Hospitals in Kolkata to consult the best eye doctors. We are committed to providing our patients with the highest possible standard of ophthalmic care in an affordable manner. Our services include cataract surgery, lasik & refractive surgery, glaucoma treatment, diagnostic and imaging services.
4. What is an eye stroke?
An eye stroke is when blood flow is blocked in the retina due to blood clot. Without proper blood flow, the retina does not get sufficient oxygen, which may lead to serious consequences. An eye stroke should be treated immediately as any delay can damage one’s vision permanently.
5. What are the symptoms if you have a cold in your eye?
The symptoms if a person has an eye cold are:
- Reddening of eyes
- Sensitivity to light
- Blurry vision
- Itchiness or burning sensation
- Watery eyes
- Cold or flu-like symptoms
6. Which fruit is the best for the eyes?
Fruits rich in antioxidants can protect your eyes such as guava, kiwi, red berries, orange, and grapefruit.
7. How can I clean my eyes daily?
Always rinse your eyes with clean cool water for at least 15 minutes. Wash your hands before cleaning your eyes. You can do this while you are in the shower or over a sink. Finally, wipe your eyes with a clean cloth.
8. Why do I have so many tears in my eyes?
There are several possible reasons to have watery eyes:
- Due to allergies
- Blocked tear ducts
- Dry eyes
- Problems with cornea
9. When should you see a doctor for watery eyes?
Although watery eyes clear up on their own sometimes, it may lead to serious consequences in a few cases. Seek medical help immediately if you have watery eyes with:
- Pain or bruising around your eyes
- Bleeding from eye
- Severe headache
- Reduced vision
- Foreign particle stuck in your eyes
10. How do you stop a watery eye?
A few of the common remedies to stop a watery eye are: rinsing your eyes with water, using eye drops, removing eye irritation elements like dust and makeup from the eyes. If these don’t work, see your eye doctor who can diagnose the condition better with tests and treatment.
11. What is the best medicine for watery eyes?
Consult your eye doctor. He/she will prescribe you the right eye drops for watery eyes. If you have watery eyes due to any allergy, treat the allergies first. Your doctor may prescribe you antibiotics for infection or a surgery to clear your blocked tear ducts.