Did you know a newborn’s eyesight is between 20/200 and 20/400 at birth? Their eyes are so sensitive to bright light after their birth that they are more likely to open their eyes in low light.
Children learn through their eyes. To read, to write, and to play – kids need healthy vision. Therefore, you should pay attention to your child’s eye health and look for signs that you may think can cause problems.
Experts say the best ways to monitor a child’s eye health are:
- Looking for symptoms
- Make your child undergo regular eye exams
- Provide appropriate diet
Here we share with you important insights on children’s eye health: curated by some of the best eye doctors in Kolkata
1. Infants can see when they are born but they cannot focus accurately: Babies’ vision at birth is abuzz with visual stimulations. Their eyes don’t always focus accurately in the beginning. It is only by the time they are two months old, a baby can easily focus on the people or objects close to them.
Fact: Smoking when pregnant can harm a baby’s vision. It increases the risk for premature births, and further leads to higher refractive errors and problems with the retina of the baby.
2. Far and short-sightedness: Easily treated with prescription spectacles, , far and short-sightedness conditions often run in families.
Far-sightedness: People with farsightedness have a difficult time focusing their eyes on objects that are close. For instance, people with farsightedness may find it difficult to read words written in a book.
Short-sightedness: Short-sightedness is a common eye condition that causes faraway objects to appear blurred. Objects that are near can be seen clearly.
Did you know? Myopia or nearsightedness has a higher incidence in school going children in India, especially in urban school-going children from 11 to 15 years of age.
3. Lazy eye and squint: A fairly common eye problem in India, lazy eye condition is clinically known as amblyopia. It is when one of the eyes of the child does not develop as it should. If the child is treated sooner, it is more likely that they have a good vision.
4. Colour blindness: You would be surprised to know that 1 in 12 men and 1 in 200 women have colour vision problems. They find it difficult to distinguish between red, green and yellow. If you suspect your kid to have colour deficiency vision, or if there is any family history related to it, take your child to the optometrist. Although there is no way to cure or prevent this condition, knowing about the problem can help you teach your child to use colours appropriately.
When should parents take their children for a full eye examination?
An eye test is important when:
- A child has any special needs
- There is a history of eye problems such as colour blindness or lazy eye in the family
- The family member wore spectacles when they were children
What are the signs of eye problems you should look for in your child?
Look for the following signs of eye problems in your child:
- They rub their eyes a lot
- They have watery eyes
- They have poor hand and eye coordination
- The child avoids reading, writing or drawing
- They complain about blurred vision
- They sit very close to the TV
Looking for the best eye doctor in Kolkata?
To consult the best eye doctor in Kolkata for children, visit Disha Eye Hospitals or book online consultation. We have a dedicated paediatric ophthalmology department that takes care of all the paediatric eye problems, be it squint, strabismus or amblyopia. From visual acuity tests to surgical procedures, Disha Eye Hospitals offer affordable eye care.