Experiencing pain in the eyes, at times, is common for everybody. However, if the pain persists, it is signalling trouble. Apart from physical eye injuries such as black eye (eye swelling) and corneal abrasion, there are tons of eye complications that have eye pain as a symptom.
If you are experiencing discomfort in your eyes, do not ignore it and instead seek medical help. You can consult with one of our eye specialists at Disha Eye Hospital, a renowned eye hospital in West Bengal. Book an appointment online at http://www.dishaeye.org/appointment.
Here are some of the eye complications that cause eye pain:
1) Dry eyes: Dry eyes is one of the most common causes of eye pain. The eye condition occurs when there’s a lack of sufficient or quality lubrication in the eyes due to decreased tear production. In some people, the condition occurs when there’s an imbalance in the tear makeup or increased tear evaporation.
Apart from eye pain, foreign sensation in the eyes, blurred vision and eye tiredness are some of the other symptoms of dry eyes. Some of the common risk factors of the eye complication include lack of sufficient nutrition in diet, wearing contact lenses, using electronic gadgets (phone, laptops, TVs) for long periods, and aging. Eye drops and nutritional supplements are two common treatment options for dry eyes.
2) Glaucoma: Glaucoma is a serious eye complication that causes eye pain as one of its symptoms. Glaucoma occurs when the pressure in the eye increases due to the build-up of fluid in the anterior chamber. If left uncontrolled, the increased eye pressure can cause damage to the optic nerve. This, in turn, can lead to loss of vision. Some of the biggest risk factors of Glaucoma include diabetes, trauma to the eyes, being at the age of 40 or older, and family history of the eye complication. The two common treatment options, eye drops and surgery, are aimed at lowering eye pressure.
3) Abrasions: Accidental injuries to the eyes also cause eye pain; abrasions caused by foreign objects are the most common types of eye injuries. Eye makeup applicators, contact lenses, fingernails, jagged objects/toys, and particles from the wind are the common factors that cause abrasion to the cornea. Although the cornea can heal itself, it is crucial to seek professional treatment to lower the risk of eye infections. It is not possible to entirely prevent corneal abrasion. However, you can lower the risks by taking measures such as wearing protective eyewear when working in a workshop and playing outdoor sports.
4) Endophthalmitis: Endophthalmitis is a severe inflammation inside the eyes caused by an infection. There are two types of endophthalmitis, exogenous endophthalmitis, and endogenous endophthalmitis. Exogenous endophthalmitis results when cuts to the eye from an external source cause infection. On the other hand, endogenous endophthalmitis occurs when infection from another part of the body travels to the eyes. Some of the common symptoms of eye complication include eye pain, eye redness, & swollen eyelids.
5) Uveitis: Uveitis occurs when there’s inflammation in the pigmented lining of the eye. The inflammation can result from an autoimmune disorder, an injury, or an infection. Eye pain, loss of vision, and eye redness are some of the common symptoms of the eye complication. If left untreated, Uveitis can cause permanent damage to the eyes and lead to vision impairment. Eye drops, drugs, and surgery are three treatment options for Uveitis.
Maintain good eye health with Disha Eye Hospital
We are committed to ensuring good eye health for everybody through our quality and affordable eye care services. We offer treatment for Glaucoma, Cataracts, Uveitis, and Diabetic retinopathy in Kolkata.