College students have a lot on their plate and they have a busy academic schedule and social life. Amidst this, eye health is often not a priority. Eyes are one of the most sensitive parts of the body that require care. When an eye problem is detected early on, the chances of treatment are often better. As one of the leading eye hospitals in Kolkata, we share a few tips for healthy eyes for college students:
- Reduce screen time: Digital eye strain is the most common problem faced by college students. With virtual classes, students are now spending more time in front of the screen. Eyestrain, headaches and blurred vision are some of the symptoms of digital eye strain. To help alleviate digital eye strain, students must take a 20 seconds break after every 20 minutes and look at something (other than the screen) 20 feet away. This gives the eyes much needed rest.
- Take care of contact lenses: There are no two ways that contact lenses are one of the most convenient tools to correct vision problems. However, they are medical devices that need proper handling. College students should make it a point to always wash their hands before touching contact lenses. Sleeping with contact lenses can lead to eye redness, dry eyes and even eye infections.
- Wear the right eyewear for outdoor activities: College students who are part of the sports team or who spend a good amount of time outdoors, should wear sunglasses. They should make sure that their sunglasses offer UV protection. Prescription sunglasses are a smart choice for those who need glasses.
- Do not share makeup: Sharing eye makeup may seem to be harmless but it might lead to the spreading of infections. Avoid using expired cosmetic products. If a particular product is causing redness in the eye or near the eye, it is best to not use it again.
- Get proper sleep: Sleep plays an important role in the college student’s productivity level. Good sleep helps in maintaining their eyes health. Adults need at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep. Lack of sleep may lead to dry eyes.
- Lead healthy lifestyle: Physical exercise, healthy diet and not smoking are the three habits every college student should inculcate. According to a study, physical exercise is not just for physical fitness but also for good eye health. Healthy diet is very much needed for good eye health. College students should ensure that they are having a well-balanced diet that lowers the chances of obesity and type 2 diabetes, which is the leading cause of blindness in adults. It has been found that smoking increases the chances of cataract development. Students who smoke should quit smoking and those who don’t smoke should never start it.
- Get comprehensive eye checkup done every year: While a routine visual acuity test is important, college students should get a comprehensive eye test done every year. Performed by a qualified eye specialist or ophthalmologist, the eye test helps in detecting eye conditions.
Are you looking for an eye specialist in Kolkata?
If you are experiencing any eye-related problems, visit Disha Eye Hospitals or book an online consultation with our eye specialists. We offer quality eye care at affordable rates. We are a one-stop destination for eye care. We have diagnostic and imaging service centres, emergency OPD, optical store and a paediatric clinic all under one roof.