Cataract surgery is one of the most common and safest surgeries performed around the world. Approximately, 10 million cataract operations are performed each year in the world with a high success rate.
What is cataract surgery?
Cataract surgery is the procedure of replacing the lens of your eyes with an artificial lens. A cataract is clouding of the natural lens of the eye. The surgery is carried out to remove the damaged lens and replace it with an artificial lens. It is usually performed under local anaesthesia where the patient will be awake but will not feel any pain during the procedure.
Benefits of cataract surgery
1. Improves vision
2. Helps in seeing things in focus
3. Improves the quality of life
4. Protected eye health
Here we have shared a few things you should consider while opting for cataract surgery:
- Deciding on the time for surgery: Cataracts are removed when it makes it difficult for the person to carry out normal activities, such as driving or reading. An ophthalmologist is the best person to suggest the best time for surgery.
- Pre-operative assessment: An eye doctor carries out a pre-operative assessment before the surgery.
1. The general health evaluation of the patient includes checking the patient’s blood pressure levels, current medication, allergies, and other medical conditions.
2. The doctor will further check the visual acuity of the patient. The refractive errors, dioptric error, and intraocular pressure of the eye are also measured before the surgery.
- Choosing the type of intraocular lens: Another option you need to consider for your cataract surgery is the type of intraocular lens (IOL). The doctor will remove your natural lens and replace it with any of these types of IOLs:
1. Monifocal lens
2. Multifocal or accommodative lens
3. Toric lens
What is vision correction cataract surgery?
While undergoing cataract surgery, the surgeon can also correct the vision, giving the patient better vision he or she had before the surgery.
Looking for cataract surgery in Kolkata?
If you or your family members are looking for cataract surgery in Kolkata, you can consider Disha Eye Hospitals. As one of the leading eye hospitals in West Bengal, we have some of the best and highly experienced doctors on board who will attend to all of your queries and guide you. The types of cataract surgery available in Disha Eye Hospitals are:
1. Phacoemulsification with foldable IOL implantation
2. Manual small incision cataract surgery
3. Laser cataract surgery