Eye-related problems and injuries in the workplace happen more often than you think. They can cause serious complications, leading to temporary or permanent loss of vision. Here we share useful insights on protecting your eyes in the workplace, whether you work in a hazardous workplace or in an office and when should you rush to an eye hospital :
If you are working in a hazardous workplace, here are a few useful insights to protect your eyes:
1. What precautions can you take to protect your eyes?
Hazardous working environments can affect your eyes badly. But if precautions are taken from the very first day of your job, hazardous situations can be eliminated. Here are a few tips that you can follow to keep your eyes safe:
- Be attentive during the training sessions on handling hazardous materials. Listen to each word carefully and if there is any query clear it on the spot. As any doubt can prove to be fatal in the future.
- Have an idea about how to use first aid fits, and how to handle any emergency eye situation. Keep the eye hospital’s contact number handy.
- Always follow the procedure mentioned to use the machinery and handle chemicals.
- Always use the necessary eye shield/ protective eyewear to protect your eye. Avoiding an eye shield may affect the eye badly and can also lead to permanent vision loss in some cases.
- If there are barriers installed at your workspace, work within them as sometimes flying debris and sand may get into your eyes and injure them.
- If there is some serious eye issue do not try to treat it by yourself but an eye hospital instead and consult an eye specialist.
2. What should you do if your eyes have been harmed in the workplace?
In case of a cut or eye injury
- Do not try to remove the object lodged in your eyes. If it is a minor dust particle, ask your fellow worker to remove it. Also, wash your eyes with cold water immediately.
- In case of a serious issue, avoid touching, or rubbing your eyes. This will put pressure on your eyes and can make matters worse.
- Place a clean cloth or a shield over the eyes to protect them from further damage and contact the nearest eye hospital immediately.
In case of chemical or dust exposure to eyes:
- Wash your eyes with cold water and try to flush out chemicals out of your eyes.
- Contact the nearest eye hospital immediately.
- Once you reach the hospital, tell the eye doctor about the chemical you were handling. So that treatment can be done accordingly.
In case you are hit in the eye or its surrounding area:
- Do not put any kind of pressure on your eyes or their surrounding area. This may worsen the eye condition.
- Use ice or cold compress in case of swelling.
- Immediately contact the nearest and discuss the injury with your eye doctor.
Got an eye injury at your workplace and looking for the best eye treatment in Kolkata?
Disha Eye Hospitals is among the leading eye hospitals in Kolkata. Our team of doctors have years of experience and are well-trained to handle any eye-related emergency. From regular eye checkups to cataract treatment, from LASIK to glaucoma treatment, we are a one-stop solution for all eye-related issues. Find the nearest branch to book an appointment.