Eye care refers to the healthcare and management of eyes, including the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of eye diseases and disorders. It involves regular eye exams, screenings and treatments to maintain healthy eyes and vision. Despite the importance of eye care, many people neglect their eye health. This can lead to eye problems that could have been prevented or treated if caught early.
Here we discuss some of the reasons why eye problems can go undetected:
1. Glaucoma and early dry age-related macular degeneration (AMD): Some eye conditions may not produce noticeable symptoms in their early stages, such as early stages of glaucoma and early dry age-related macular degeneration. Glaucoma is often called the “silent thief of sight” as the damage caused by the eye disease may not be noticeable soon. As the disease progresses, one starts noticing symptoms such as eye pain and blurred vision. Similarly, in the early stages of AMD, one may not notice any symptoms, and by the time symptoms appear, the disease may already be at an advanced stage.
2. Lack of awareness: Some people may not be aware that their symptoms could be related to an eye problem and may not seek medical attention as a result. Some people may assume that the symptoms are simply a normal part of ageing and may not seek medical attention. It is important for individuals to be aware of any changes in their vision or eye symptoms, even if they think that they may be a normal part of ageing. Regular eye exams can help detect any potential problems early on, allowing for prompt treatment and preserving vision.
3. Diabetes history: People suffering from diabetes are at a high risk of developing diabetic retinopathy which can cause vision loss if not treated early. Diabetic retinopathy is a condition where uncontrolled blood sugar levels can cause damage to the small blood vessels in the retina. In the early stages of the condition, there may be no noticeable symptoms or vision changes.
4. Lack of access: In some areas, mostly in rural areas, access to quality eye healthcare services can be difficult. Also, expensive eye healthcare can be another reason for people not seeking medical attention.
5. Lack of regular eye checkups: Not getting regular eye checkups can affect your eye health. As mentioned above, regular eye exams can help your eye doctor detect diseases such as glaucoma, cataracts, and macular degeneration in their early stages. Also, eye exams can also detect underlying health conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
6. Underestimating the importance of eye health : Unformately, many people do not take their eye health seriously. This can be due to a lack of understanding of the importance of eye health or a belief that vision loss only affects older individuals.
Looking for a good eye hospital in West Bengal for eye exams?
If you are looking for a good eye hospital in West Bengal for getting your eyes checked, visit Disha Eye Hospitals. Our team of doctors have years of experience and can detect a wide range of eye problems, including glaucoma and diabetic retinopathy. We have a dedicated Diagnostic And Imaging Services. We offer a wide range of tests including:
- A-Scan Biometry
- Specular Microscopy
- Corneal Topography/Oculyzer
- Digital Fundus Angiography
- Indirect Ophthalmoscopy and more